These muffins are great as a snack or even to have for breakfast with some jam or honey.
I should mention that I have cut sugar/sweetener from my diet so even though I added half a tablespoon of honey to the batter, the muffins are not that sweet. I would recommend perhaps adding more honey or even xylitol to the mixture.
The muffins are inspired by this recipe…I made a few changes….I plan to play around with the flavors. Apple and cinnamon are next on my list! Then maybe banana chocolate chip??
Anyway here it is….enjoy
1 cup almond meal 1/4 cup coconut flour 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot 1/3 cup shredded coconut 1 banana, mashed 3 eggs 1tsp baking soda 2tbsp coconut oil 1tbsp vanilla extract 1/2 tbsp honey or (1-2tbsp honey or 1/3 cup xylitol) (haven't had a chance to try so this is only a guess)
A handful of walnuts or pecan nuts would also be a great addition, I didn’t have any on hand!
1. Preheat oven to 180
2. Mix the coconut oil, eggs, banana, vanilla, honey in a bowl. I used a food processor but you can easily use an electric whisk as well.
3. Add carrots and nuts (if using) to the wet mixture
4. In a separate bowl mix the almond meal, coconut flour, shredded coconut, baking soda
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well
6. Scoop the mixture into lined muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes
Serve and enjoy…..Try not to eat all at once……I recommend to serve hot with some butter or jam or both!
Nutritional Info per muffin (based on 10 muffins): 139 calories; fat 10.2g (saturated 4g); carb 8.7g; fibre 2.1g; sugars 3.9; protein 4.5g